As a Business Consultant (Advisory) you are responsible for helping small businesses succeed and supporting the growth of the business within the SMB and SME sector in Tasmania. This role falls under the direction of Head of Growth, working closely with our growth team, staff and consultants to ensure our services are client focussed and there is a continuous pipeline of work from the SMB and SME sector.
As a Business Consultant you have a passion for understanding how and why businesses work, with a desire to influence positive change using your experience to provide the timely, defensible advice that enables enable the growth and development of small business clients. You understand the opportunities for businesses that can have a well-articulated conversation about risk in the current environment.
You can work autonomously or as part of a team to ensure consistent, high-quality service delivery of simultaneous projects/programs of work. Your passion for the small business sector, experience and empathy enable you to assist a wide range of clients to achieve tangible results, and your reputation within the Tasmanian business community is evidence of your ability to achieve this. You promote and practice the Project Lab’s values and actively lead in creating a positive culture.
· Delivery of state and federal business advisory programs for the SMB and SME sectors in Tasmania, with an emphasis on the provision of qualified, defensible advice focused on the increased the understanding of risk and general business improvement.
· Contribute to the drive of a continuous pipeline of work through identifying and defining opportunities for business improvement with SMB and SME clients.
· Positively contribute to the culture of the Growth team and achievement of the strategic priorities for The Project Lab.
· Contribute to the continuous improvement of consulting products that are desirable, feasible and viable.
· Work with the Service Delivery Team to support the effective delivery of own projects.
· Work autonomously, as part of a team, or lead teams in dynamic project environments often undertaking multiple engagements simultaneously whilst delivering agreed outcomes with a high level of proficiency and quality.
· Initiate, influence and maintain relationships with team members, other project teams, stakeholders and client groups to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
· Escalate any issues or challenges relating to an engagement where client outcomes or Project Lab commercial objectives may beat risk.
· Mentor and guide other consultants, ensuring learning and development opportunities are shared with fellow consultants.
· Administration and reporting related to the delivery of government business advisory programs.
Skills and experience:
· Post-graduate qualifications/certifications in Business, Finance, Management Consulting, IT, Engineering
· A minimum of 7 years' experience in consulting to small businesses.
· Demonstrated business skills including but not limited to, business planning, supply chain modelling, product development, financial management, budget modelling, and marketing.
· Demonstrated experience of working with small business digital technology including the online environment, and business software applications.
· Experience in understanding contemporary issues impacting local businesses in Tasmania, and the development of an entrepreneurial and an innovative culture.
· Demonstrated ability to deliver a range of business, technical, IT and financial management support with proven experience in implementing initiatives that address the needs of clients such as building a business’s customer base and improving sales.
· Expertise in one or more of the following industry sectors agriculture, food and wine, tourism and hospitality, arts and recreation, retail, professional services, building and construction or IT
· Proven ability to build and maintain high quality stakeholder relationships to ensure effective and efficient delivery of outcomes for their clients.
· High level communication skills including the ability to build effective relationships with business community leaders, peak bodies, industry associations, local councils, key stakeholders, clients and Business and Trade Tasmania representatives and other Tasmanian Government staff.
· Strong leadership skills and the ability to think analytically, critically and conceptually. Ability to work autonomously or work collaboratively in a team environment.
Position Reports to: Head of Growth
Permanent: Full-time - 5 days per week (37.5 hours) generally between 8:30am and 5:30pm.Flexible working hours (including more than 8 hours/day) may be required at times where critical project deliverables are subject to time pressures.
Location: Launceston; Hobart